We're all learning something as we move through the different stages of life. I'm in the process of learning who I am and what I want out of life. I'm learning how to let go; of people, circumstances and disappointments. I'm learning to not dwell on things quite as much. I'm learning how to navigate through co-parenting with my kid's Dad and with my significant other. My learning just also happens to make me feel like I'm constantly on the verge of going insane!

Tuesday, October 4, 2016

My Teen's 1st Date

I've mentioned before that we are a rather unique family. That's how I prefer to think of it at least. I'm constantly paranoid that I'm doing something to screw up my kids. I'm especially afraid that my daughter's are going to grow up with "daddy issues" and low self-esteem. This is in part to my own issues I suppose. It doesn't help that my thirteen year old is boy crazy and goes through boyfriends much too quickly for my liking. I comfort myself with knowing that she's practically a straight A student, she's involved in amazing extracurricular activities in school, and I am 100% all up in her business. She really doesn't have the time to get into any trouble.

One of her extra activities is student council and about once a month they do a skating fundraiser. She absolutely loves going to these. And generally she prefers it if the Boyfriend (mine, not her's) takes her to these. This time he decided that they would go on a "real' date. He was so excited. It was adorable. He knows how easily she gets embarrassed, I have no idea where she get's this from...cough...cough...So he took her aside without witnesses and officially asked her out on a date. Her only response, "Will there be food?" Spoken like a true fat kid. lol. I say this because she is so tall and skinny and can seriously eat. I envy that girl's metabolism.

So the day of their date comes. They're wearing nearly matching neon green shirts, they show up better in the lighting at the skating rink. Her hair gets fixed all pretty. And she borrowed her four year old sister's tutu to go over her leggings. That part was for student council. If they got enough kids to go that night, the principle, who is male, would wear a tutu to school. She managed to look adorable though.

Anyways, back on topic. The Boyfriend goes out the back patio door where we park the cars, drives around to the front door and rings the doorbell like a proper gentleman. I call the teen to answer the door, which she does, only to tell him she's not ready yet and he'll have to wait. Then proceeds to close the door in his face! I'm trying like hell to keep a straight face as I let him in the house all the while asking him what his intentions are and what time he'll have her home. This may have been easier if our entire household wasn't standing around cracking up.

They had a blast. They tried out a new restaurant and went skating, where all her friends giggled and told her how jealous they are cause their dad's don't do things like that with them. When they got home, he dropped her off at the front door then went to park the car. While she layed across my bed telling me all about her night, he came in and switched into the parent role asking her how her date was, what they did and talked about and if the "boy" behaved himself.

Now her six year old sister wants her turn for a date night.





No comments:

Post a Comment